Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Cellist in Taiwan

It's been another eventful week. Due to performances by our little missionary choir/orchestra, our usual schedule was thrown into disarray (all for the best, though). While that group is off performing, my companion is on exchanges with another sister whose companion is in the group as well. On Friday, I was gone all day, because we had three performances: two at a high school, one at a stake center. I didn't get home until almost 11:00pm, which is pretty much as edgy as my life has gotten within recent memory (and yet, not that edgy because it was with permission). The stake center we performed at serves my first area, Chaozhou. Two sisters that I started teaching while I was there came to see, and brought me a Christmas card with gift. It was so good to see them again, and see that they still remember me. (SIDENOTE: Being remembered by people isn't my primary goal, because I hope their own spiritual experiences and connections with the local church members are more significant to them than I am, but it's a nice side-perk when it happens). The program is a mix of large-group numbers and smaller ensembles. One of the highlights of our performance is a jazzed-up rendition of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman", including tenor sax, alto sax, drums, trumpet, and jazz piano. They just sort of made it up on their own, and it's a big hit every time. I'm accompanying "Beautiful Savior" with a violinist for two sisters singing a duet. As a result of my failing to practice diligently in my more youthful youth, I'm a classically mediocre cellist, but whatever talent I have is there for the Lord to use or not use as He likes. I guess something that I've thought about as a missionary is consecration, putting everything I have at God's disposal. I suppose that can be difficult when we have a lot (e.g. a very rich person being willing to use all her money for whatever the Lord asks), but it can also be difficult when we have a little (e.g. a new missionary whose language skills aren't great being asked to speak in lessons, even though his companion can speak more fluently than he can). I think I personally have an easier time neglecting the latter case, but if embarrassment over the meagerness of our resources keeps us from using them as God asks, that's probably just as bad as keeping them to ourselves for any other reason.

On Sunday night we had dinner at the Gao family home. Using my companion's knowledge of Mexican cooking (part of her extended family is Mexican), we made fajitas. Sister Gao couldn't restrain herself from contributing to the meal, so she prepared curry. I love curry. And fajitas. Also, this family is wonderful. As we were getting the food ready, Brother Gao asked if I would especially miss home around Christmas. I said it was alright; I'll get to call home in a couple weeks. He said their home could be my home for the evening, and it came surprisingly close. It's such a blessing to associate with the members of the Church here. For all my efforts to think of ways to serve them, I always feel like I get a lot more from them than they get from me.