Thursday, January 8, 2009

Exchange Extravaganza

This move is really getting down to the wire. On Friday night we'll get our move calls, and I have no idea what they'll be. Basically anything could happen next move as far as I can tell, which makes the guessing game all the more fun :)

Last week we went on exchanges with the sisters from Gangshan, which is part of the province of Kaohsiung (I am in the Tainan province). Sister Orgill came up to Yongkang and I went down with Sister Guerra from Thursday night to Friday night. This was my first time going on proper exchanges out of my area (we went on exchanges when I was in Chaozhou, but then another sister came to my area instead of vice versa). I was really excited to be with Sister Guerra for the day, because I knew her a little before, and she's really great. It was just as fun as I had anticipated it would be. We did all the same things as you normally would--finding less-active members, planning, studying, teaching, contacting--but it's sort of a refresher to switch things up for the day. Sister Guerra is an irrepressibly positive person, as far as I can tell, and I learned a lot from her example about optimism and energy in the work. The whole thing was rejuvenating.

Sister Angulo and I had an interesting unplanned service opportunity (yes, that is a Preach My Gospel phrase...) this week. We were out putting fliers for English class in mailboxes when we passed a little Christian church on a sidestreet. There was a woman inside cleaning, and Sister Angulo suggested we could go back and help her. At first I wondered if that would be weird for LDS missionaries to come clean someone else's church, but I'm glad we went back anyway. The woman was grateful for the help. It was a beautiful little chapel, apparently an aborigine church. Most of the aborigines that I've met in Taiwan are Christian (I'm not sure why...I'll have to ask someone sometime). I liked seeing how much she wanted the chapel to be clean and ready for people to come use it for worship the next day, and I liked being able to help out, at least a little.