Monday, May 19, 2008

MTC Day 5

I've successfully completed my first four days in the MTC. So far, days seem to pass really quickly because we're so busy all the time. Even though I never feel like I have enough time to do and study everything that I want to, I generally like the feeling of being jam-packed busy. Here's a little break-down of my feelings:

Things I miss:

1. My family. And close friends, who may consider themselves part of my extended family. I do miss you all, but I not in an abnormal, crippling sort of way. I hope you're happy for me and not disappointed that I'm not more heartbroken.

2. Being able to pronounce my own name. They assign us Mandarin surnames that will go on our tags once we get out to the field, but we use them here too. Mine is pronounced something like "Soo-en", first tone (for anyone who knows anything about Chinese tones).

3. I think that's about it, for now. I'm sure I'll miss more things later. Except snacking, I do miss snacking now, but I guess grazing in my kitchen is a good habit to break anyway.

Things I love:

1. My companion. Sister Nelson is hilarious and awesome. Our paths would probably never have crossed outside of the MTC, but I feel really fortunate to have her around (which is good, since she must be within sight and hearing of me at all times for the next 10 weeks, except when we're in the bathroom).

2. Getting to focus on preparing for just one thing. There are a few different components (language, missionary lessons, etc.), but they are all sort of mixed together and mutually supportive, which is nice. I just really enjoy getting to put all of my thoughts and efforts into one thing.

3. Mandarin. It's almost a love-hate relationship. But mostly minus the hate. It is incredibly hard, but I like it. My district (the group of missionaries that I have class with all the time, including my companion) is a lot of fun, and our teachers are pretty great, too.

4. Getting to think and talk about the Gospel (the doctrines espoused by the LDS Church) all the time. Anyone reading this should know how important my faith is to me, so getting to be surrounded by it all the time is a very rewarding and engaging experience.

So it's basically been a good experience. I'm sure lower points will come, but why taint the goodness with nasty anticipation? Unnecessary. I'll try to write more about my daily life in future emails, but that will have to suffice for now. I love you all, and will love you even more if you write me!

No comments: