Monday, July 21, 2008

A Privilege to Pay

"A privilege to pay" is part of a quote that one of the wives of our branch presidency shared with us on Sunday (the branch presidency are three men, a president and two counselors, who preside over and lead our branch of missionaries, which is also our zone). She was telling us stories about Mormon pioneers (Mormon Trek, any Iowa City-ites?), and she told us about a survivor of the Martin Handcart Company. This particular company went through some really grueling trials, in great part because they left so late in the season. When one survivor heard someone comment on their experience, part of his response was: "The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay" (as quoted by President McKay, I think). It's really quite impressive that someone would consider a journey from Iowa to Utah, much of it in winter, which killed off a good fraction of the participants, "a privilege" because it let them become acquainted with their God. Any experience I've had to date has nothing on that, but I still think that anything we go through that brings us closer to God is, in net, a privilege to experience.

This week I basically stopped speaking English. I only speak English to church leaders, sometimes MTC employees, and to translate for other missionaries (or myself, if no one is there to translate for me). Previously, my companion and I spoke English to study and plan together, but we did away with that. I think it's a really good thing, if a little tiring.

In another slightly entertaining blunder this week, one of the elders in my district related the Book of Mormon story of the Brother of Jared seeing God's toe. For anyone not familiar with the Book of Mormon stories, it's actually the divine finger that appears. My teacher did an admirable job stifling his surprised laughter. It didn't matter too much--we all know what he meant, and I suppose seeing the foot of God would also be plenty astonishing.

I leave a week from today! I have my flight plans and everything. Thank goodness visas to Taiwan aren't hard to get (unlike the countless Latin America-bound missionaries who are hanging around the MTC or shipped off to USA missions temporarily while they wait). If anyone wants to send me mail after today or tomorrow, mail it to the Taiwan address on. That's the mission office. If it comes to the MTC after I leave, it will be returned to you, not forwarded. (DearElder.com is also an option.)

Well, that's all I have time to share this week. Thank you again for your time to read about my experiences, and especially thank you to anyone praying for me.

Much love,
Sister Andersen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just mailed you a card CRAMMED with writing on Monday afternoon. I mailed it to the Taiwan mission home, so hopefully it'll be waiting for you when you arrive (as opposed to some office elder saying, "Huh, who's Sister Andersen?" and returning it to sender). Way to ramp up the Chinese speaking!