Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Return to Power (or, in Better Words, an Opportunity to Serve)

I am once again the English leader. I don't know if I ever talked about being the English leader before. I know I've talked about English class every Wednesday. There is a weekly English meeting before English class that all the missionaries attend at their respective chapels. The English leader conducts these meetings, as well as collecting weekly numbers for total students, new students, students that set up to meet with us, etc. I was the English leader my first three moves (I think sometimes the leaders like to give new missionaries their own responsibility, so they get invited to be the English leader). This move's original English leader moved last week, and I have once again been given the opportunity to reign. I mean, serve. Actually, I'm quite looking forward to it. My former companion, Sister Stratford, gave an excellent share on English class last Zone Conference, and I feel refreshed and recommited. The thing about teaching English class as a missionary is that you end up with a group of people who have voluntarily walked into the church and are sitting at least somewhat attentively in front of you. It's amazing. And on top of that, once you really believe in your heart that God will lead you to prepared people, it suddenly seems very obvious that at least some of these people who motorscoot themselves to the church are among those you're supposed to be finding. So I'm excited to be the English leader and think about how we can make use of this opportunity, even if it's only for a few weeks.