Well, first full week down, only 9ish more to go. I'll start with a couple of humorous anecdotes:
In one of our classes, our teacher was about to teach us a lesson as if we were investigating the LDS church. She told us that we could pretend to be non-practicing Buddhists, which led to a brief discussion of Buddhist beliefs. According to her, Buddhists are trying to reach Narnia. To her credit, she quickly caught her mistake, but of course we won't let it go...Could Nirvana really be better than Narnia?
Those missionaries in my district going to Taiwan had to get some additional medical tests done, including giving a stool sample. We had just been given the bags and the little containers in which to submit the sample. Stuck on these containers were labels saying: DO NOT DRINK. IF INGESTED ACCIDENTALLY, SEE A PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY. Oh the things law suits have done.
On a more serious and substantial note, my companion and I have already improved our teaching a lot. Teaching with someone takes quite a bit of getting used to, but we're getting much better at working together and being flexible within the lesson. I've been really blessed with a companion who wants to work hard and who cares about making sure the Spirit is with us when we teach. The MTC is a very unique fusion of education and spirituality. I know that the gift of tongues is present here. I can see it in our district. It's not the sort of gift of tongues that comes upon you suddenly, in a grand display of the power of God. It's more like a subtle (but very substantial) response to our hard work. I'm really grateful for the blessings I've received with the language, because Mandarin is dang hard.
I've had lots of opportunity to think about the significance of sustaining our leaders. There are tons of little specific rules for missionaries and at the MTC; everything from dressing at the same level of dressiness as your companion (e.g. both in suit coats or neither), no wide headbands for sisters (too faddish), etc. I don't know that I would keep all of the rules in the book if it were up to me, but I've been thinking about the importance of helping out the leaders by obeying them. First of all, I don't always know the reasons behind their rules, but also, the Lord doesn't promise infallibility in leadership, but he does promise blessings to those who sustain their leaders by following them. So not understanding the rules isn't rankling me as much as it might, which is good, because there are plenty of them.
Well, my time runs short once again. I love you all!
Love,
Sister Andersen
Monday, May 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I work at the temple grounds and saw Sister Anderson as she was headed up to the temple. I didn't really get to talk to her--just a quick and very formal handshake--but it seemed she was doing great!
You have to match the dress level of your companion? Boy, I would have been in big trouble! I always got the companions who had expensive, dry clean only clothes and cute shoes. I think my mission wardrobe fell into the "I'm riding bikes" category. I did convert one companion to thrift store shopping, though. . .
Post a Comment